Wisdom Teachings April 21, 2009
What Dasha Cycle are You In?
karma is so basic
we often don’t even
Today’s Wisdom Teaching is on the dasa system. It is one of the most important tools in Vedic Astrology. A dasa is a planetary period of time, and will show you how your karma unfolds in your life. There are many dasa systems but the most prominent is the Vimshottari Dasha system, (Vimshottari means 120 in Sanskrit). It uses 120 years as the length of your life cycle. Each planet unfolds for a certain number of years before giving way to another.
Which Planet Cycle do I start my life with?
The start of your first planetary dasha is determined by the unique placement of your Moon at birth. The dasha’s unfold in the order of the list below. See if you can determine which dasha YOU are in right now by reading the brief descriptions of the cycles listed below.
- Ketu is a 7-year cycle. Ketu is the dasha where you become aware of everything you do not need. Ketu is a very spiritual and healing cycle, and it is best to engage in spiritual development during this time. This dasha will help you let go of what you don’t need so you will develop spiritually. Attachment becomes a theme because materiality is not important during this time, but spiritual growth is.
- Venus is a 20-year cycle. Venus is the dasha where you learn to take care of yourself and others. It is a cycle of understanding love and relationships. This is one of the longest dasha because these challenges can be the most important lessons you will learn in your life. Wealth, prosperity and luxury are also part of this cycle.
- Sun is a 6-year cycle. The Sun dasha is a cycle for embracing your own identity. Developing a healthy ego is necessary, and the urge to be true to yourself burns more strongly during this cycle. This is a time where you will learn to shine from yourself and when you no longer feel the need to be supported by others.
- Moon is a 10-year cycle. This is the period of reflection, sensitivity, vulnerability and the need to connect your individual experience with others in a meaningful way. You are learning to see yourself as a reflection of the experiences you have with other. Nurturing, security, home and family are also themes in this cycle.
- Mars is a 7-year cycle. Energy, passion, excitement, courage and a desire to better your self are increased during this time. Mars is a time to test your energy through discipline and action. Mars is a hot cycle and brings you the energy you will need to compete with others and learn to make allies out of your enemies.
- Rahu is an 18-year cycle. This period brings materiality and the need to embrace all the qualities you are in the most need of developing in this lifetime. This cycle eclipses our mind on a subconscious level. The things that you do not entirely understand will actually compel you! It is a cycle of intense agitation and detoxification on all levels. This is a cycle to really “grow up” in.
- Jupiter is a 16-year cycle. This is a period of faith, hope, optimism and a great time of personal growth. Jupiter will teach you something and give yousomething. This cycle can bring children, marriage, wealth, titles and honors. When Jupiter is weak in a chart this cycle can make you unrealistic, overly optimistic, and create doubt on all levels.
- Saturn is a 19-year cycle. This is a time when you will face your greatest limitations and the reality of your immortality. This cycle teaches you responsibility, ambition and perseverance. It is a cycle of understanding the truth about “time” and the more harsh realities associated with the concepts of life and death. Spirituality, concentration and duty are emphasized.
- Mercury is a 17-year cycle. Curiosity, learning, playful experimentation and communication are emphasized during this time. Mercury is a very neutral planetary energy, but has the lightening fast quality of the mind. This is the time to see all the possibilities at once and then assess them correctly. A cycle of true discrimination and detachment from our emotions and seeing all possibilities is important. But be careful of having too many options.
If you are curious about what cycle you are in you can have your Vedic Chart done in order to know this. If you don’t have the chart then you must contact a Vedic Astrologer and they will be able to help you.
Please note: Every chart is different and what I’ve described above is an outline of the basic energy of the planets. If you have a debilitated planet and you are running the cycle of that planet you will possibly have the negative effects of that cycle. Your entire horoscope must be evaluated to understand your unique challenges.
Noteworthy Dashas Changes For Famous People:
- Barack Obama Barack is currently in Jupiter’s dasha (1996-2012), which usually brings honor and recognition. Jupiter is well placed in his chart and is with the planet Saturn in the 1st house, an angular and powerful placement. He started his Jupiter dasha in July of 1996 and then became an Illinois Senator in January 1997. (Remember Jupiter brings hope and optimism.)
- Oprah Winfrey Oprah started her Venus Dasha in September 1985. Venus is part of many Dhana (wealth) Yogas in her chart that are in her house of money and speaking. Her own nationally syndicated show started on September 8, 1986, one year after entering into Venus.
- The Dalai Lama In 1959, while in his Mars Dasha (1954-1960) he fled to India following a failed uprising and the collapse in the Tibetan resistance movement. Mars is in a Moksha house, a house of liberation and freedom. While in Jupiter’s dasha (1979-1992), which usually brings honor and recognition and is placed in the 9th house of the Guru, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989.
When you change a dasha cycle, the whole focus of your life can dramatically change according to the energy of the planet. The wisdom is to be prepared and “know” when this cycle change happens according to your own chart so you can understand the energy that new cycle will be bringing in.
I hope this was helpful!
With love and faith in the journey,